Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Pleasures of Reading

As the school year winds down I'm looking forward to the pleasures of reading. I'm getting a head start right now with The first book in George R.R. Martin's saga A Song of Fire and Ice...Game of Thrones. There's nothing like losing yourself in a good 800 page book.

When I finish Game of Thrones, I still have all these to look forward to:
And I have my list of classics to work on as well. I love a good thick book sometimes, a book that you can pick up at odd times, knowing that you still have hundreds of pages ahead of you, a book that lets you get lost in the pleasures of story. Whatever may happen in the larger world, I can always dive into my book.

What book have you lost yourself in lately?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks like you've got a good summer of reading ahead of you!

bibliophiliac said...

@Lisa-can't wait!

Marie Cloutier said...

I got totally lost in Corelli's Mandolin. What a great read for historical fiction fans!

bibliophiliac said...

@Marie-I've never read that book. But if you got totally lost in it, I might give it a try :)

Lisa said...

Oh, I've just begun reading "Game of Thrones" as well and I am also a teacher (4th grade). I can't wait for summer break to begin - June 18th - so I can read, read, read. I am around the 425 page mark in Game of Thrones and am desperate to have time to read. Looking forward to reading the remaining books in the series over the summer. I'm going to try to wait to purchase "A Dance with Dragons" until it comes out in paperback in Oct.

bibliophiliac said...

@Lisa--don't you just love the elaborate world George R.R. Martin creates in Game of Thrones? I finished the first book, and just picked up A Clash of Kings, the second book in the series, today.