Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: A Glimpse of Me

Top Ten Posts That Give You the Best Glimpse of Me...
What a great excuse to revisit those posts that gave me the most personal satisfaction (or, as Jamie puts it, *pimping my bad self out*). The folks over at The Broke and the Bookish host this extremely popular meme (check out how many people participate!) because everybody loves a list, and because ten is a lovely number. And whenever I can't come up with ten, I just stop wherever I feel like it....

So here are my Top Ten for this week...

1. My interview with Andre Dubus III was definitely the high point of my book blogging career thus far. I'm not gonna lie: I worked on this. I meticulously read and fanatically underlined, Townie, the memoir Andre Dubus III had recently published, but I also read over some of the stories written by the writer's father, Andre Dubus (whose work I had always admired). And Andre Dubus III was incredibly generous, responding to my questions just as if I were some kind of....journalist!
2. Middlemarch, My Love is a love letter to my favorite novel. This post really is me.
3. When a publisher decided to sanitize The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by replacing the racial epithet with the word "slave"....I had thoughts. The Bowlderized Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
4 & 5. I absolutely loved Rock Island Line and Driftless by David Rhodes, and my reviews of the two novels were written with love and admiration.
6. I don't love every book I read (although I try to seek out books I mostly expect to like). This review of Jonathan Lethem's Chronic City was my response to a book that pretty much wan't my cup of tea.
7. Way back when, Simon of Stuck in a Book asked people to post about a picture that captured their reading world. That was a fun post to write.
8. My interview with Priya Parmar, author of Exit the Actress, was my first author interview and still one of my favorite posts.
9. This is a personal post, and gives you a glimpse into my life as a teacher--a post about one of my better days: My Million Dollar Bonus.
10. Remembering Dad (with a book in his hands) was an unabashedly sentimental post about my late, beloved father.

Whew! That was a lot of linking! If you are kind enough to read around my list, and take a look at some of my favorite posts, you will get a pretty good idea of who I am...

This was a fun post to write; I'm looking forward to reading your Top Ten Posts that give me a glimpse of you....

3 comments:

Vikk @ Down the Writer's Path said...

Enjoyed your list and especially your memories of your Dad.

Rory said...

You interviewed Andre Dubus III!?! How fun. One of the few quotes that has really stuck with me for years after reading it is from one of his books (The House of Sand and Fog). It's “Dat's what they say of this cauntry back home, Kath: 'America, the land of milk and honey.' Bot they never tell you the milk's gone sour and the honey's stolen.”

My TTT if you are interested. I love the simplicity of your blog layout as well - makes it easier on the eyes/reader.

StuckInABook said...

Gosh, no.7 feels such a long time ago!