Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top Ten Blogging Confessions

Top Ten Tuesday is a bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Because lists are fun.

I've been feeling just a little bit guilty because I haven't posted in a week. Every blogger out there knows the feeling. Hey, no one asked me to do this, so why should I feel guilty! Also, how many angsty posts have we all read about how a blogger is thinking about giving up her blog? Too many, am I right? This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic might be the best one ever: confessions of a blogger, about blogging--you know, that totally voluntary activity that no one ever asked us to do? Yeah, but we love it! Because this is where we talk about our obsession as if it were completely normal to own more books than....anything. This is where there is a general understanding that yes, we all have a TBR bookcase (forget the TBR pile). But still, it gives us angst and stuff. Here are my top ten blogging confessions:

1. The more I love a book, the harder it is for me to write a review. Books that I just sorta like....those reviews practically write themselves. But a book that I underlined, argued with, and cried over--that review takes me a loooong time to write. And maybe (Cormac McCarthy, I'm looking at you) I just never write it.

2. I know I sound like a schoolmarm sometimes and I hate it. This blog is where I indulge my reader self. But I've been teaching high school English for more than a decade, and sometimes I read my posts and go ugh, there's the schoolteacher voice!

3. I've never done a vlog, and the idea both intimidates and intrigues me.

4. I get comment envy. One of the best things about blogging is the conversation, and I'm disappointed when a post doesn't get many comments.

5. E-books leave me cold. I'll read them, because they are convenient, but it is my last choice. Thus, Netgalley and I just didn't get along.

6. Review copies make me anxious. Eww, I just broke out in a cold sweat. They're looking at me--make them stop!

7. My book hoarding/book buying tendencies are worse than I admit.

8. My blog impresses my mother more than almost anything else I've ever done. This is puzzling to me, since Mom doesn't even own a computer. I think she saw and read a post or two on a friend's computer, or at my sister's. But my mother acts as if writing this blog is a huge accomplishment. The only explanation I can come up with is that movie, Julie and Julia. And by the way, my mother would like Meryl Streep to play her in the movie about me and my blog. The fact that my mother looks nothing like Meryl Streep is irrelevant.

9. It still surprises me that I have readers. When I started this blog I knew nothing--nothing! And when I started to have a few followers I was shocked. I still remember the moment that I realized that twelve total strangers were following my blog. I felt like a rock star! And I am still very grateful for anyone who takes the time to read what I write here.

10. I want to write books. I can't think of a higher calling. Nothing gives me more pleasure than writing and reading, and the two are completely intertwined. When I review any book, I'm always aware of how difficult it is to write a book, let alone bring a book to publication.

What are your blogging confessions?

20 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm finding it difficult to write all reviews these days. My mother-in-law was my biggest blog supporter - I think she told everyone she knew. By the way, I'd want Meryl Streep to play me in a movie as well.

JoAnn said...

I have an awful time writing reviews for books I love, too... somehow I never manage to do them justice.

Yes to #6, too... I kind of hate review copies these days ;-)

kristy1504 said...

I totally understand about having a hard time writing reviews! It's so difficult trying to put all of your feelings for a novel down in words... I have a difficult time with it as well!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Your mom is great! LOL! She's making me wonder who would play me if my blog were made into a movie. Hmmmmm . . .

bibliophiliac said...

@bermuda onion-your MIL sounds sweet! You do write good reviews though ;)

bibliophiliac said...

@JoAnn-I usually end up procrastinating until I forget the details of the book!

bibliophiliac said...

@kristy1504--So true! If I just say how much I loved a book my review ends up being lots of gushing.... It takes me a long time to figure out the why of it....

bibliophiliac said...

@Enbrethiliel--My Mom is the best! She is also hilarious.....

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Writing a book sounds really exciting! And scary!

And I used to feel that way about e-books but now I just can't get away from their convenience. This makes me feel totally guilty. And I'm totally with you on the book buying/hoarding. Though lately it's been worse because you can't see ebooks piling up!!

Great confessions.

bibliophiliac said...

@Trish-and it is just so easy to buy books on your e-reader. Even though I don't use mine that often, I have an embarrassing number of books on it. And when you finish one book, snap, you can buy another. Instant gratification.

kayerj said...

I have a harder time reviewing books that make me think. I also hate to review books I don't like because I don't like to be negative about someone else's hard work. Isn't it great to just let it out? I enjoyed your list today kelley—the road goes ever ever on

bibliophiliac said...

@kelley jensen-Sometimes I feel as though I try to write reviews too soon--those books that make you think take some time to process!

Leah @ Books Speak Volumes said...

I'm so with you on 4 and 9!

Andi said...

OMG, I'm jealous that your blog impresses your mother. Mine, even though I've had my blog for 10 years, persists to ask if it's earning me any money yet. #sigh

bibliophiliac said...

@Leah-about #9....Once in a while a colleague will mention "I read your review of..." or say something about my blog, and I would have never guessed that they were following my blog. Former students will bring it up too. So I know there are more readers than commenters.

bibliophiliac said...

@Andi-the fact that I've been supporting my family all these years has never seemed to impress my Mom... but having a blog, for some reason, has a sheen of glamour!

Bybee said...

Great list. My confessions would be a lot like yours. I don't think you sound like a schoolmarm in the slightest!

bibliophiliac said...

@Susan Bybee-Thanks! I try to go back and edit out anything that sounds too school-teacherish! Not that there is anything wrong with being a teacher!

The Relentless Reader said...

Such a great list ;)

I haven't been posting much lately either...it makes me feel GUILTY. Yuck.

I'm picturing the review books staring at you (and at me) and I'm laughing. I feel your pain!

Awwww, your mom :*) That's so sweet!

bibliophiliac said...

@Jennifer Hartling-Isn't it funny that bloggers feel this universal guilt when we don't post!