Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Monday, July 14, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? Summer TBR

One month into summer, and I'm a reading machine. Summer reading is the best!

It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a readerly meme hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.

I'm halfway through my summer break, and it has been a productive time for reading. Here's a peek at the books that are sitting on my TBR pile, as well as a few I've recently finished:

Recently Completed

Here's what I've read in the last week or two:
Hue and Cry by James Alan McPherson (short stories)
Elbow Room by James Alan McPherson  (Pulitzer-Prize winning collection of short stories)
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (WOW)
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose (a quick read, but very informative....Colvin refused to give up her seat to a white woman on a Montgomery, Alabama bus nine months before Rosa Parks did the same)
Losing Touch by Sandra Hunter (for TLC Book Tours, review tomorrow)

Now Reading

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (working away on my Classics Club list). Dickens is one of the big authors on my Classics Club list. I'm reading the Signet Classic edition, which has a nice introduction by Frederick Busch. Here's a quote from the introduction:
If we combine marital misery, a wretched searching for something nameless, elusive, but essential, and the idea of lovers separated by great gulfs of time and space, we have almost arrived at the critical mass of elements that resulted in the dark, brilliant Tale of Two Cities.
As Dickens began writing A Tale of Two Cities, he had already fallen in love with eighteen-year-old actress Ellen Ternan, and separated from his wife. 

And About to Begin

East of Eden by John Steinbeck.  I'll be rereading Steinbeck's classic novel based on the story of Cain and Abel for my Classics Club list, and as a read-along with the Estella Project.

So....it's Monday! What are you reading?

9 comments:

Andi said...

Soooo glad you're reading East of Eden with us!

bermudaonion said...

The summer is flying by, isn't it? I saw the trailer for Gone Girl today and want to see the movie now.

Judith said...

I enjoyed Gone Girl, but I thought Gillian Flynn's debut novel Sharp Objects was first-rate literature with excellent character development, etc. If you liked Gone Girl, then you'll so admire Sharp Objects.

I could not believe that you mentioned something about your summer being half-over. Yikes. My first class is September 4, and I finished my Summer Class work on July 4, so I feel I'm in the beginning stages of reading as much as I can.

Wishing you many more great reads!

Judith (Reader in the Wilderness)

bibliophiliac said...

@Andi-Woot woot! Looking forward to the readalong!

bibliophiliac said...

@bermudaonion-Kathy, summer *always* flies by!

bibliophiliac said...

@Judith-We go back to school so early here in South Carolina! I long for those civilized days when Labor Day meant back to school! I go back on August 11th, the kids return one week after that. Sad face!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I admire your pursuit of the difficult reads this summer. Good for you!

Lindsey said...

You are really working through that Classics Club list! I have a Tale of Two Cities on my list too. :)

Unknown said...

I liked Gone Girl -- I'm glad to see you enjoyed it too. I have been meaning to re-read A Tale of Two Cities, and I have yet to read East of Eden. Maybe I'll join the readalong. :-)