The Classics Club
I am so excited about The Classics Club. What a tremendous idea! And you have to check out the new site for the club: http://theclassicsclubblog.wordpress.com. The site is beautifully done, and I can't imagine how much work went into it. The moderators for the site are:
Allie from A Literary Odyssey
Adam from Roof Beam Reader
Melissa from An Avid Reader's Musings
Sarah from Sarah Reads Too Much
Heather from Between the Covers
Here are the basics about The Classics Club:
+choose 50 or more classics
+list them on your blog
+choose a reading completion goal date of up to five years in the future and note that date on your classics list of 50+ titles
+email the moderators (email@example.com) with your list link and info
+write about each title as you finish it and link it back to your main list
+when you've written about every single title, let the moderators know
So, my completion day will be November 10, 2017. Here is my list:
1. Joseph and His Brothers byThomas Mann.
2. Dr.Faustus by Thomas Mann.
3. Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann.
4. Death in Venice and Seven Other Stories by Thomas Mann.
5. Hard Times by Charles Dickens. Completed.
6. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.
7. Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens.
8. Bleak House by Charles Dickens.
9. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.
10. Adam Bede by George Eliot.
11. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot.
12. Middlemarch by George Eliot.
13. Silas Marner by George Eliot.
14. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.
15. Diana of the Crossways by George Meredith.
16. Stoner by John Williams.
17. Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner.
18. Go Down Moses by William Faulkner.
19. Light in August by William Faulkner.
20. Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak.
21. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
22. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. Completed.
23. The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. Completed.
24. Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy. Completed.
25. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
26. Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
27. Swann's Way by Marcel Proust.
28. Within a Budding Grove by Marcel Proust.
29. The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust.
30. An Authobiography by Anthony Trollope.
31. He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope.
32. Is He Popenjoy? by Athony Trollope.
33. Orley Farm by Anthony Trollope.
34. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck.
35. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Completed.
36. Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin. Completed.
37. Another Country by James Baldwin.
38. The 42nd Parallel by John Dos Passos.
39. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
40. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
41. The Ladies Paradise by Emile Zola. Completed.
42. The Monk by Matthew Lewis.
43. America and Americans by John Steinbeck.
44. East of Eden by John Steinbeck.
45. Paradise by Toni Morrison.
46. The Street by Ann Petry.
47. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Completed.
48. Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov.
49. The Red and the Black by Stendhal.
50. The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal.
51. Cousin Bette by Honore Balzac.
52. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
53. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf.
54. Richard II by William Shakespeare.
55. Richard III by William Shakespeare.
56. Henry IV Part I by William Shakespeare.
57. Kafka on the Beach by Haruki Murakami.
58. Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa.
59. Three Lives by Gertrude Stein.
60. A Dance to the Music of Time: First Movement by Anthony Powell
61. Mother's Milk by Edward St. Aubyn.
62. Mama Day by Gloria Naylor.
63. Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor.
64. Corregidora by Gayle Jones.
65. A Rage in Harlem by Chester Himes.
66. The Known World by Edward P. Jones. Completed.
67. Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko.
68. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene.
69. Silences by Tillie Olsen.
70. Dreamtigers by Jorge Borges.
71. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.
72. Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor.
73. Stories and Occasional Prose by Flannery O'Connor.
74. The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima.
75. Acts of Worship by Yukio Mishima.
76. The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West.
77. A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov.
78. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol.
79. The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
80. Moby Dick by Herman Melville.
81. Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry.
82. The Complete Short Novels of Anton Chekhov translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky.
83. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman.
84. Brown Girl, Brownstones by Paule Marshall.
85. A Death in the Family by James Agee.
Which of these classics have you read? What did I forget to put on my list that you think I just have to read?