Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday Salon: I Love Book People

True Story:

My husband needed to pick something up from Lowe's today.

This is a frequent occurrence. Sunday afternoons mean walking the aisles of building supply stores in search of tiny screws, bolts, or obscure and cataclysmically important pieces of hardware. It is a given that the more critical and important the hardware it is, the longer it will take to find it in the little bins and drawers that line the aisles.

So I pulled out my book while my husband looked for the thingamajiggy. And I think I got a couple of chapters in (Middlemarch, if you must know).

A little later, my husband and I were inspecting something pretty exciting (did you know that they make tool backpacks?). And one of the store employees came up to me and stated asking: How many books do you read a month, what kind of books do you like to read?

My new friend reads on her her break, and whenever else she can. She has an e-reader but prefers a physical book. She gives her grandchildren books, and more books.

I love book people.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

We have a business near a UPS store and we all park in the back. I often see a young woman who works at UPS reading in her car during breaks and it always warms my heart.

bibliophiliac said...

@bermudaonion-I love the woman who reads in her car! Too bad she has to sit in her car. Ideally we would all have a nice little park with a bench right outside our workplace, and the weather would always be fine.