Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Book Love

Happy Valentine's Day, book people! I hope you got to spend at least part of the day doing what you really love: reading!

Okay, I know, it's the day after Valentine's, but close enough.

This week I'm working on the massive (over 1,000 pages) A Dance with Dragons, the fifth book in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm enjoying this book very much, although I'm only halfway through it. There's a Macbeth allusion, among other attractions.

This is my thirteenth book of 2015, and with the exception of ARCS, every book I have read this year has been from my TBR collection (sorry, can't technically call it a stack or a pile). Thus, I am doing quite nicely on the TBR Double Dog Dare hosted by James Reads Books.

For a class I'm teaching, I'm reading The Narrative of Frederick Douglass for probably the fifth or sixth time. It's still completely mesmerizing and inspiring. At the end of 2014 I bought a hardcover copy of Colum McCann's Trans Atlantic so that I can read it again. I got an ARC from LibraryThing, and I loved the book so much (it actually made me cry, and not just a few tears). The time Douglass spent in Ireland is and important part of Trans Atlantic, and it is one reason I loved the book so much.

Other books I'm reading right now are mostly for school or for my writing practice. I seem to pick books up, read a chapter, and then put them down for a while far more than I ever used to.

I wish I were better about writing reviews as soon as I finish a book. I'm really behind in writing and posting reviews, even of books I really liked.

Share your book love in the comments: are you working on your TBR pile? Do you have a book that you read and loved recently? Share the book love....

4 comments:

Iliana said...

Happy Valentine's Day! You are doing great on your reading goals. I think I need to stop going to the library for a bit. My TBR Collection (I like that!) is out of control.

bermudaonion said...

I worked all day Saturday so didn't get any reading done. It sounds like you're having a great year in books so far!

Space Station Mir said...

I also wish I was better at writing reviews immediately after finishing, it gets intimidating to catch up! At the same time, sometimes I find it's hard to review a book immediately (especially, for some reason, one I really liked). Sometimes they take time to grok.

Bybee said...

I'm reading A Game of Thrones and I'm hopelessly behind with my reviews.