Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sunday Coffee: New Year's/Readathon Edition

Yesterday's Classics Club Readathon was just what I needed--after the busyness of the holiday and the shock (!) of returning to work, the Readathon gave me a glorious day of slow reading. Thanks to Allie of A Literary Odyssey and The Classics Club, the Readathon was perfect. The focus was on the classics, and the rules and pace were relaxed. This is a Readathon I'd participate in again in a heartbeat.

Here are my results:

What books did you read/finish?  I read just one book, Cormac McCarthy's masterful All the Pretty Horses.  I started reading early in the morning Saturday, went to bed when sentences no longer made sense, and finished the novel this morning. I am absolutely in awe of McCarthy's prose, and am seriously considering creating a shrine to him in my home. My review will be posted soon.

What did you like about the event?  I loved that the Readathon was low-key and low-stress, and I loved the conversations in comments and on twitter. Oh, and I loved the reading! Also, my first book of 2013 was one of the books on my list for The Classics Club!

Suggestions for future Readathons? Anything that focuses on the classics. I really liked the fact that this Readathon was so open-ended, and didn't have too many rules or requirements.

Would you participate in future Readathons? In a word-yes!

2 comments:

Brona said...

Yes! to everything you said. It was a lovely way to spend the day.
I've contemplated McCormack but have yet to take the plunge...your comments have encouraged me :-)

LBC said...

I thought that All the Pretty Horses was a really great book as well. I read it earlier this year for my book club. I didn't do much readathon reading at all, but I did read and few pages of Infinite Jest, and some Harry Potter.