Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Monday, June 20, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by the indomitable Sheila at Book Journey. I've really enjoyed participating in this meme over the last couple of weeks, and I'd like to keep it up at least through the summer. It has been so interesting to see what other folks are reading.

This week was not the fiendish reading week that I had last week. The Idiot and I are still besties, but I had to put the book down temporarily in the middle of a gigantically philosophical discussion between two characters. I have just over one hundred pages left, and plan to finish it this week. Strangely, this read-along has been fantastic for me as a reader, but the posts have had fewer comments than almost anything I've written for this blog. Maybe it is the daunting Russianness of it all.

I finished reading Ann Patchett's State of Wonder, and it sort of ruined me for other books for a few days. I just kind of wanted to sit with the experience of the book, and didn't want any other books in my head for a few days. My review will be posted June 29th as part of the TLC Book Tours schedule.

I also need to post a review of Jo Scott-Coe's Teacher at Point Blank, which I also finished last week. Scott-Coe has a compelling voice and I loved her book-I hope she will be publishing another soon.

I'm about halfway through How to Escape from a Leper Colony by Tiphanie Yanique. She's from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, which is where my husband was born and raised. She's the only contemporary writer I can find from St. Thomas, and I bought her book mostly out of curiosity, but she is a very fine writer and I'm enjoying the book. It is a novella and stories-and I love the short story.

One of the things on my agenda for today is to explore my own bookshelves and see what I might want to read next. I have a book I won from Wendy at Caribousmom that really intrigues me: Being with Animals by Barbara J. King. I'm also going to spend some time with this handsome guy:

Isn't he ridiculously cute? That's Beaux, and he actually belongs to my daughter and her boyfriend, but he's spending a few days with us. So cute.

Tomorrow is the first day of the Summer Institute for Coastal Savannah Writing Project. I'm excited, and somehow just a little nervous. I expect to have less time for reading, but I'm pumped up about all the writing I will be doing.

It's Monday, what are you reading?

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am truly looking forward to reading State of Wonder. Enjoy your week.
My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-44.html

Anonymous said...

Beaux looks very cute! Good luck with the writing - that will be great fun and an inspiration to write more, I'm sure!

Bev Hankins said...

Beaux is a darling!

I am in awe of you and your Russian reading! I still haven't gotten brave enough to read anything by Dostoevsky...one of these days.

Here is my Monday: dostoevsky

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

State of Wonder is on my wish list. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

bermudaonion said...

Aw, Beaux is adorable. A friend of mine read State of Wonder and she said she literally couldn't put it down once she started it.

bibliophiliac said...

@Jennifer-State of Wonder is extraordinary-hope you will love it too!
@leeswammes-Beaux is adorable-and can't wait to go write tomorrow...
@Bev-the Russians really aren't that bad!

bibliophiliac said...

@bermudaonion-that was my experience too. The book barely left my hand and I finished it in two days.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty dog ,all the best stu

BookQuoter said...

Beaus is very handsome!!
I am finishing the State of Wonder. I have yet to read a second good book from this author (love Bel Canto), but I think I will like this one, 50 more pages to go. If you don't mind, I will wait for your review so I can link yours, if I post it?

bibliophiliac said...

@BookQuoter-oh, by all means link to my post! It will be up on June 29th.

bibliophiliac said...

@stu-second only to the handsome winston!

Anonymous said...

That writing conference sounds like it'll be fun. Enjoy your week and thanks for stopping my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm been kicking myself to not joining you on The Idiot readalong. I've had the book on my self for ages. Glad that you are enjoying the Virgin Islands book. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

What a cute little guy! Yes, "daunting Russianness" is a great phrase. I hate to say it, but I think Anna Karenina broke me on the Russian classics. So many names! The essays inserted into the plot! Call me a wimp if you'd like. :-) Enjoy your week!

bibliophiliac said...

@runnersami-thanks for stopping by!
@kinnareads-the Yanique book is wonderful-so glad I picked this one up.
@IntrovertedJen-Next on my list of works of daunting Russiannes: War and Peace. Someday.

Vasilly said...

Beaux is adorable! I'm looking forward to reading your review of State of Wonder. Good luck with your writing!

bibliophiliac said...

@Vasilly-thanks for stopping by!