Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

My husband has been giving me funny looks. I walk past him, book in hand. He says "Is that the same book you were reading, or is that a new one?"

I've been fiending for books. (Just a couple of years ago I found out from my students that fiend is a verb now. Everything is a verb now.).

Thursday was my last day of school. Friday: I read a book. Saturday: I read a book. Sunday: I read a book.

This weekend I read: On Friday, S.J. Watson's Before I Go To Sleep for TLC Book Tours (review on June 22nd). Then Saturday I finished reading Jo Scott-Coe's phenomenal Teacher at Point Blank: Confronting Sexuality, Violence, and Secrets in a Suburban School. Sunday I read Ann Patchett's State of Wonder, also for TLC Book Tours (review on June 29th). I am still letting State of Wonder soak in. Somewhere near the middle of the novel I forgot it was a novel. Somewhere in the novel I forgot I was reading.

On my list for this week:
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky for a readalong hosted by Allie at A Literary Odyssey. I'm very close to finishing Part Three of this novel, and will post about it on June 15th.
The 9 Rights of Every Writer by Vicki Spandel. This is my assigned reading for the Summer Institute at Coastal Savannah Writing Project (I begin on June 21st).
How to Escape from a Leper Colony by Tiphanie Yanique. This is a novella and stories written by a writer from my husband's birthplace, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. I'm really excited to read this title.

If I finish all of these titles, then I will grab something from my bookshelves. I have a whole list of books I own and want to read. There are also books I've downloaded on my Nook: I'm just going to see where my fiending leads me.

It's Monday. What are you reading?

Sheila at Book Journey is the indefatigable host of It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Her latest post shows a bruised, banged up, smiling Sheila with one arm in a sling. Sheila is so awesomely energetic and incorrigably cheerful, even a trip to the emergency room doesn't keep her from smiling. Here's wishing her a speedy recovery from her cycling accident.

20 comments:

JoAnn said...

So fiend is a verb now, huh? Sounds like the first weekend of summer vacation was wonderful. Can't wait to read State of Wonder!

bibliophiliac said...

@JoAnn-I'm old enough to remember when *party* was strictly a noun!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Ahhhh.... thanks you are too sweet! I have the Monday post up now :)

Bev Hankins said...

I still haven't gotten brave enough to read a Dostoyevsky novel yet. He's on the TBR list, though. Hope you enjoy The Idiot.

Here's my Monday: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_13.html

A Musing Mother said...

How to Escape from a Leper Colony looks absolutely fascinating! I read Molokai a year ago and really, really enjoyed it.

bibliophiliac said...

@Sheila-I hope your pinky, collarbone, and everything else is healing!

bibliophiliac said...

@Bev-for some reason it took three attempts for me to get through Crime and Punishment! The Idiot is great, and I read The Brothers Karamazov years ago, but need to reread.

bibliophiliac said...

@Musing Mother-okay,now I have to find out what Molokai is!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I look back fondly on my days of reading Dostoevsky. Hope you enjoy The Idiot.

Thanks for visiting my blog, and I agree about Sheila.

State of Wonder is a book on my wish list.

dollycas aka Lori said...

Sounds like a lot of good reading going on!!!

Dollycas
http://dollycas.blogspot.com/

pussreboots said...

Sounds like you had a great week of reading.

I celebrated 24 years of keeping a book diary. The flu kept me from reading at my usually insane pace but I did finish some books. Come see what they were.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have indulged heavily, Suzanne! How nice!

I am sometimes a bit embarrassed when I have yet another book going. I don't quite try to hide it form my husband, but I don't advertise the fact either. :-)

Frances said...

Those are high words of praise for the new Patchett! Maybe I should bump it up my list a little faster?

Booksnyc said...

State of Wonder sounds amazing from your description alone!

Have a great week!

bermudaonion said...

I'm thrilled to see another SC blogger. We used to come to Hilton Head every summer for years. Did you know SIBA will be in Charleston in September?

Anonymous said...

I m reading a russian novel lizka and her men a modern take on russia ,all the best stu

bibliophiliac said...

@Laurel-Rain-Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I am loving The Idiot (and I'm not referring to my spouse!).
@dollycas-stopped by your blog but blogger was being glitchy and wouldn't let me comment!
@pussreboots-I wish I had recorded my reading for that long!

bibliophiliac said...

@Frances,Booksnyc-Maybe it's just me, but I think Patchett is brilliant. Absolutely loved State of Wonder.
@bermudaonion-I saw that! I'm thinking about going to SIBA in Sept. since Charleston is so close for me...
@stu-love the Russians!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you got Yanique's book. Waiting for your review :). Enjoy your reading.

Kerry said...

I love those days/weeks when I can detox from whatever has been happening and dive completely into my book lists. Hope you can continue to read so many books over the rest of the summer!