Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.
A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka
Monday, October 11, 2010
Top Ten Tuesday
I have to admit, this Top Ten List has me flummoxed. How can I vow not to read a book? Won't I be like all those book-banning hypocrites and wanna-be censors, deciding to hate something I've never read? I can't think of too many books that I would never read--but I can come up with some categories....
1. I will not read any mid-life-crisis-wish-fulfillment romance novels that combine middle-aged photographers and bridges.
2. I will not read any sequels to Jane Austen novels written by 21st century writers. It isn't quite blasphemy, but almost.
3. I will not re-read Naked Lunch, a book I had to read in graduate school--I found it just plain revolting. Ugh.
4. I will not read any angry political diatribes that blame the demise of all of civilization on a) the government b) liberals c) adherents of any faith d) the adherents of no faith.
5. I will not read hateful rhetoric. Okay, I'll read the first paragraph, just to make sure.
6. I will not read treacle.
7. I won't say never to the entire category of self-help books, but I'm going to have to say almost never.
8. Okay, I worked for a major chain bookstore for a couple of years, and I saw towers of diet books go out the door. And I saw the customers leaving with the books and coming back looking exactly the same. I will not read the latest diet book, or any diet book. I will not eat by blood type or body type or horoscope.
9. No horoscope books.
10. So many books, so little time. I sometimes think that I should read nothing but classics. Or even spend most of my time rereading. I am a big believer in rereading. Any book important enough to read once deserves a second read. Really--and I will just have to give up my dream of reading 70 bazillion books in a lifetime or a year or a decade. Sometimes I feel like being really ornery and just reading VERY SLOWLY. Like one book a month (only it's War and Peace, and it's so good I read it again the next month).
Well that was fun! Top Ten Tuesdays continues to be my favorite meme. Thanks Broke and Bookish!
How would you respond to this idea--are there any books you would never read?