Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Coffee

It has been quite a week at Bibliophiliac.  I had my guest post at Desert Book Chick, an experience I thoroughly enjoyed.  Amanda hosted a number of guest bloggers during her Classics Month.  There seems to be a new or renewed interest in classics suddenly, and another  Amanda, from the wonderful blog The Zen Leaf is now starting a directory for book bloggers who focus on classics. All of this made me think about what percentage of my blog I'd like to devote to classics, and what percentage to new or contemporary books, and I'm thinking about 50 percent for each would be perfect.  Oh, and while I'm talking about book blogs that focus on the classics, here is one of my new-found favorites:  Pro Se, a fantastic blog hosted by Christopher--you really need to check it out.


I decided to start my own brand new meme.  It looks like this:
On Thursdays my posts will be about short stories--short story reviews, writer profiles, anything related to the short story.  So anyone wishing to participate in this meme is welcome to grab the graphic.  While I'm talking about short stories, I have to mention Isaac, at Tower of Stories.  He's a creative writing MA student who writes about short stories all the time, and his blog is another to watch.

introduced me to several blogs I had never encountered before--here are just three that caught my interest:

Speaking of adding blogs to your overflowing Google Reader, Gautami Tripathy of everything distills into reading has a great post today about book blogs, and purging her Google Reader, which reached 546 (!)  blogs. And another post I read this morning on my Google Reader is really worth reading, this one from nymeth at things mean a lot.

Here are three more blogs you really need to check out.  
First, there is PK Reeves of Aisle B PK is hilarious, and she always leaves funny comments on my posts that really make my day.
Secondly, Shannon of The Space Bard, a remarkable young woman with a vibrant blog.
And Ellie of Musings of a Bookshop Girl, who lives an enviable life in a little town in England, selling books and blogging about books, and hanging out with other bookish people.

PK, Shannon, and Ellie were kind enough to think of me for the Versatile Blogger Award.  Who knows when I might actually get around to passing it on, with a new school year starting up again?  But I wanted to thank these gracious bloggers for the recognition.

And of course I made it through my second week of school.  I really love my teaching schedule and my students.  Silent Sustained Reading on Fridays is delightful. Judith from Reader in the Wilderness wants to know to combine the demands of teaching with voracious reading, and I have to admit it isn't easy.  Mostly I give up almost everything else, carry a book with me constantly, and deprive myself of sleep.  And still sometimes, reading for pleasure falls by the wayside.

9 comments:

The Literary Lioness said...

Wow, thanks for mentioning my blog! I'm now going to thoroughly explore your site!

http://www.theliterarylioness.com

vithya velaithan said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for mentioning my blog. sweet of you, cheers. great sunday post and i would definitely keep reading.

Stephanie said...

Thank you for starting this short story meme -- it's very timely for me. I can't wait to see what everyone brings to the table. :-)

Library Cat said...

Well, I came by from the HOP and now you have given me a ton of new things I need to go read.

My face-to-face book group reads 1-2 classics each year. I usually do post about them, so only a very small percentage for me.

I hope you will visit one or both of my blogs: LibrarysCat or Holocaust Resources for Children!!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

a great round up lisa and a wonderful new meme ,all the best stu

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

These blogs look great, thanks for passing them along! I do follow so many already, but I can't help but add more!! :)

Sean Wright said...

I relief teach and one of the great joys of teaching middle school is the 20 minutes silent reading after each lunchtime.

Julie P said...

What a nice post--you did have quite a week! Hope you have a wonderful week Lisa.....

Aisle B said...

Hello Ms Bookaholic!

Yes, we have the same disease it's called imagination for our kind :)

Just back from a clan gathering of the Tibetan kind and I've never seen so many Tibetans in one city. I blinked & voila a Tibetan appeared, I sneezed & voila another one at my knees. I sat in the bus listening to Tibetan Ewok talk and felt bizarre... as you can tell this beats the all of 100 Tibetans in Mtl to TO 5000!
Now onto to better things...

Ahhh I knew there was someone who would get my warped humour ;P

I saw my name and did a double take... Was that PK or OK... Ah ha it was PK. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You do realize I come back here to ingest brain power for the week and to smile as well.

So off I go to read your wonderful adventures and looking forward to your new meme. You go GIRL!