Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Monday, October 3, 2016

Social Justice Book Club: Men We Reaped



     The October selection for the Social Justice Book Club is Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward. Click on the link to join up.

     Jesmyn Ward is the author of Salvage the Bones, and the editor of the recently released The Fire This Time.

     I'm hurriedly posting this at the end of a long school day. I'm a high school teacher in Bluffton, South Carolina, and I'm interested in the intersection of education and social justice. For two years my colleague and I team-taught American Literature (me) and U.S. History (her) with a focus on civil rights and social justice issues. I proposed the course when I realized how little my students knew about the history of the civil rights movement.

     I've already read Men We Reaped once, but I never feel as though I've really read a book until I've read it twice. I wanted to participate in the Social Justice book club before, but I could never quite get my act together. I'm hoping to be active on twitter and this blog as we read this gorgeous and devastating book.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

The class you taught sounds wonderful - we need more classes like that for young people.

bibliophiliac said...

@bermudaonion-It was a fun class to teach!

Jess said...

That sounds like a GREAT class! I'm a former elementary teacher, currently a substitute teacher and this is so interesting to me. I'm joining the SLB for the first time, looking forward cohering what you think.

Kerry M said...

Wow, that sounds like an incredible class! I'd want to take one now... I know the history of the civil rights was touched on in my American History class in high school, but as the curriculum went chronologically and the school year was near over by the time we got to the 1950s, it was a very glossy history indeed.

Lisa said...

I really hadn't paid attention and thought this was a local book club choice for you. I wish I would have looked more closely - would have loved to join in reading this one!