Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Modern March

This is going to be fun....Allie at A Literary Odyssey (and one of the moderators for The Classics Club) is hosting A Modern March....

A Modern March is a literary event focusing on the Modernist period. During March, I'll be reading Modernist works, and learning more about the Modernist period. I don't have a definitive plan of what I'll be reading, but here are some of the authors I'm thinking about:

William Faulkner (maybe Light in August and/or Absalom, Absalom)
Gertrude Stein
Djuna Barnes
Ralph Ellison (Invisible Man)
Vladimir Nabokov
Thomas Mann
and I'd like to read some Modernist poetry:
Rainer Maria Rilke
Wallace Stevens
Dylan Thomas
e.e. cummings
William Carlos Williams
T.S. Eliot

So that's it....Modernism in March. I feel as though I'm forgetting something....you know that feeling? Do you have any suggestions? Who are your favorite Modernist writers?

4 comments:

Allie said...

I'm so glad you're joining in! You have some great authors on your list...I'm still deciding what to read. :)

stujallen said...

some great choise there lisa look forward to your thoughts ,all the best stu

embelfar said...

I have a few suggestions:

E.M. Forster: A Passage to India and Howard's End
Joyce Cary: Mr. Johnson and The Horse's Mouth
Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield

bibliophiliac said...

@Allie-I like keeping my options open...there are plenty of books on my Classics Club list that will fit the bill.
@stu-thanks!
@embelfar-I've read Howard's End before, but wouldn't mind rereading that. Passage to India is almost certainly going to be on the list/ I've never read Cary, but that's a good idea. Mansfield is a good suggestion too.