Mission

Bibliophiliac is the space where one passionate, voracious reader reflects on books and the reading life. You will find reviews, analysis, links, and reflections on poetry and prose both in and out of the mainstream.

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. Franz Kafka

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thankfully Reading Day Two

How are the thankful readers doing? I had a wonderful day yesterday, with limited reading opportunities. Nevertheless, I made progress in Blood Meridian. I read for a couple of hours in the car, then had a fantastic vegan feast with my husband, our daughter, and her boyfriend. Dear daughter cooked, and it was amazing: Seitan Roulade, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce, and two kinds of pie-all made by my daughter. That was our delayed Thanksgiving feast. I drove home (too dark to ready anyway) and read until my eyes shut.

Today was a great reading day. I have just fifty pages left in Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, and I am in awe. My book is bristling with sticky notes, then finally I gave up and just started writing in the pages. McCarthy's writing is simply superb. I have so much to say about this book, but I need to finish reading, and then let it settle. Blood Meridian is brutal, gorgeous, shocking, and absolutely riveting. Not for the faint of heart.

Here's a little music for you: it's what's on my ipod right now:
I'll check in again tomorrow. Thanks to Jenn at Jenn's Bookshelves for the brilliant idea of the Thankfully Reading readathon.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like you're having a fabulous weekend!

Jennifer said...

That meal sounds great! It must be wonderful to have another person cook you veg food!

bibliophiliac said...

@bermuda onion- yes, it's been great Kathy!
@Jennifer-best meal ever!