This is definitely my favorite meme. Lists are addictive anyway; I am a compulsive list-maker, and listing my ten favorite authors--difficult as that is--is easier than trying to pick my ten favorite books (now that I cannot do). Here they are:
My Top Ten Favorite Authors
1. William Shakespeare. I know, this is all desert-islandish. The stock answer. But if we had only the works of William Shakespeare, what would we have? Comedy, Tragedy, Poetry, Cross-Dressing, and all of human nature--plus a bit of the beast. Even if he had written only the sonnets and nothing else, Will would be at the top of my list.
2. I hereby confess my love for John Keats--one whose name was writ in water.
3. George Eliot--aka Marian Evans, author of Middlemarch (favorite book if I have to have one).
4. Fyodor Dostoyevsky, mystic and madman, gambler, bankrupt, genius.
5. Anthony Trollope: I have a fondness for the Victorians.
6. William Faulkner. I fell for the lush verbosity of The Sound and the Fury way back in college.
7. Toni Morrison. Every single book she writes speaks to me.
8. Zora Neale Hurston. Would follow this woman anywhere.
9. Richard Wright. Still trying to get Zora and Richard together.
10. Alice Munro. She is my comfort read, my pick her up and feel better writer.
11. Anton Chekhov. Sorry, I have to break the rules. Maybe he would be my desert island read.
That was fun. I had one of those head down on the desk at the end of the day why am I doing this kind of days today. This list was a welcome respite. I always have books. Sigh.